Melissa J. McCool
11 Old Ski Lodge Lane
Washington, Virginia 22747
703 314-6553 / 540 675-9935
Graphic Artist/Web Site Designer - 10 years experience in print graphics and web site design
- Extensive experience designing award winning, web-based Internet/Intranet graphical user interfaces, company logos, and organizational branding strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a client's current design needs in order to best serve their business or communication objectives on the Internet.
- Knowledgeable of systems development procedures including requirements analysis, compiling a creative brief, information architecture design, and quality assurance.
- Outstanding oral and written skills as well as the ability to work independently, manage a development team, or participate as a project team member.
Recent Public Site Designs Include:
Education, Training, and Certifications
in Psychology with a minor in Fine Art
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
September 1992 - December 1994
Concentration in Fine Arts and Graphic Design
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Certification in Modeling, Animation, and Design
AutoDesk抯 3D Studio, Photoshop, CorelDraw
School of Communication Arts
Raleigh, North Carolina
Creative Design Consultant
February 2003 - Present
- Responsible for creating and producing original designs for clients use.
- Oversee design aspects from initial client contact through delivery of services.
- Create design mock-ups.
- Collaborate with programmers, coders, and other design professionals.
- Design interface models, menu systems and navigational schemas.
December 1998 - February 2003
Forum One Communications
- Performed as creative lead for multimedia and web site design.
- Created and directed marketing campaigns and corporate image collateral.
- Developed new business, managed vendors, and served as client liaison.
- Maintained production schedules and budgets.
- Trained, supervised, and provided art direction for junior designers.
- Managed multiple, concurrent projects.
- Designed information architecture and user interface for on-screen applications.
- Fostered development through analysis of usability studies, customer feedback and current technology analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technology.
December 1997 - December 1998
- Web site architecture, navigation, and user interface specialist.
- Responsible for web site design including all graphics, templates, layouts, style sheets, design guidelines, HTML coding.
- Responsible for search engine optimization via meta tags, content, HTML organization and site submissions.
- Created multimedia presentations for Business Development executives.
July 1996 - December 1997
WestLake Solutions, Internet Training and Consulting
- Created all internal marketing materials including logos, letterhead, directories, advertisements, and displays.
- Responsible for Graphic User Interface (GUI) design of multimedia presentations and databases.
- Worked with training staff to develop courses on graphic design and the internet.
- Sourced and prepared art for corporate promotional products.
Graphic Designer II
February 1995 - July 1996
ICF Kaiser International, Inc. (now ICF Consulting, Inc.)
- Designed projects in print, including logos, identities, collateral, newsletters, annual reports, newspaper, magazine ads, brochures, posters, trade show booth.
- Collaborated with writers, artists, photographers and other professionals.
- Produced quality typography with high standards on type face selection, kerning, leading and readability.
- Handled all phases of production, including electronic preparation of files, proofing bluelines, color keys and press matches, and conducting press checks.
- Gained extensive knowledge of four-color printing process and printing technologies.
- Gained extensive knowledge of graphic compression for web, video and multimedia formats.
Art Directors Club of Metropolitan Washington
Ad Club of Metropolitan Washington
Computer Skills & Software Knowledge
Cross-platform proficient, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Director, CorelDraw,
PageMaker, QuarkExpress, AutoDesk 3D Studio, CellAssembler, Gif Animator, Dreamweaver, Homesite,
Secret Security Clearance - Department of Defense
Talented in illustration, sculpture, photography, acrylic painting, photo re-touching, ink washes,
traditional type setting, clay hand-building, paper mache, silk screening, and stained glass.
Available upon request